Friday 27 May 2011

When the Locusts Feed



I often go swimming with my wife and daughter at the local public swimming pool (pic above) in the rural Essex town where I live here in the UK and it always reminds me so much of the days in my youth when kids used to spend endless summer days at the public pool in one of the towns in the East Rand, Gauteng, South Africa, where I grew up in, in the 70's and 80's.

These are gorgeous memories I have, but spoiled so much by the decay and degradation happening in South Africa. I remember after the elections in 1994 how all public amenities and services were opened to all races in South Africa. Of course, that included the public swimming pool.

Yet there was no problem. For many years old Brakkies Olympic size swimming pool was a great place to chill out and have fun in the sun, both black and white kids. It was cheap, it was accessible and it was there for everyone! We did not mind sharing at all, it was great.

When I was back in ZA last November (2010) for a week attending a funeral, I decided to visit my old swimming pool and boy, was I in for a shock!

Brakpan’s only claim to fame: It’s Olympic size swimming pool reduced to shit. I could not believe it when I saw it. After 1994 nobody minded sharing this pool. Now look at it…This is the “locust” effect….Now, nobody can enjoy the pool, not even blacks…. It is ruined.

Probably some ANC councillor was faced with a choice: Either a BMW 525i or a BMW 745i and took the latter….







Confirmation here

Hang on, is that a fucking crocodile I see there?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.